Ah yes, so very awkward.
Everytime I get this comment I get terribly flattered and embarassed at the same time.
The result is a very red-in-the-face joanne.
customer boy (mildly cute): i'll get a [insert pack of ciggs here]
salesclerk (myself): *gulp* thanks...*grabs ciggs...fails to ask for ID*
he looked about my age anyway...
But that is not all -- no.
To further my orientalism I even baffled customers with my math skills.
oldlady: shouldn't I be getting $3 back?
salesclerk (myself): no, your total was $4.40 and you gave me $6.40
oldlday: *surly look*...........are you taking math?
salesclerk: no, I haven't taken math since highschool.
oldlady: well, those from the far east are naturally very good at math...VERY good.
And of course i immediately ate up her buttery and slightly racist "compliment".
Obviously, i fit right in with the likes of the stereotype of the typical asian --what with my thick glasses and exceptional ability to subtract small dollars right??

No comments:
Post a Comment